Saturday, February 1, 2014

blogs.kqed.org


5 Foods that Boost Immunity and May Help Prevent Colds and Flu

Cold and flu season is upon us and as the old adage goes, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” We all know that it is much better to avoid getting sick than to try to shake a bug once it has taken hold. Unfortunately, even with the best personal hygiene, such as frequent hand washing, it can be difficult to avoid germs. That is why it is so important to have a strong immune system.
The immune system is made up of cells and proteins that fight off foreign invaders like viruses and bacteria and prevent infection. These cells work together as a team and they have a long memory. Ideally this coordinated defense prevents an illness before it takes hold. But even if you do get sick, the immune system remembers the virus and can fight it off more effectively in the future. Luckily for us, diet has a big impact on immune function, and optimizing nutrition is one of the most important things we can do to boost our defenses.

Here are five foods or food groups that benefit the immune system.

Chicken soup with egg noodles. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend
Chicken soup with egg noodles. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend


Chicken soup and other foods high in protein

Grandma was right, high quality complete proteins are essential for the immune system to function. The truth is that all of our immune cells and antibodies are made up primarily of proteins. When we don’t get enough dietary protein or we are unable to absorb the protein from our diets the immune system suffers. The nice thing about chicken soup is that it is both a complete protein, meaning that it contains all of the essential amino acids, and it is easy to digest because the meat has been cooked until it is soft and falling apart. However vegetarians and chicken soup haters need not despair, all high protein foods are helpful. Meat, eggs and beans are also good sources.
Maitake mushroom surrounded by Trumpet and button mushrooms. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend
Maitake mushroom surrounded by Trumpet and button mushrooms. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend

Medicinal mushrooms

Many medicinal mushrooms are also edible and delicious. They can be sauté roasted and added to soups or gravies, but they should not be eaten raw. Shiitake and Maitake mushrooms are commonly available at stores and farmers markets around the Bay Area. These fungi are immune super foods with properties ranging from increasing white blood cell numbers to supporting anticancer effects. Most people agree that the medicinal components of these mushrooms are best absorbed when they are extracted in hot water. This means that soups or teas are the ideal way to eat them. In fact certain mushrooms like Reishi are so hard and woody that they cannot be eaten directly but are commonly simmered in broth and then removed. However they are prepared, mushrooms add both health benefits and a rich, savory flavor to any dish.
Tangerines, Cara cara and navel oranges. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend
Tangerines, Cara cara and navel oranges. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend

Tangerines, kiwis and other foods high in vitamin C

Vitamin C is a powerful immune tonic. It increases white blood cell numbers and improves the function of these important immune cells.
It is an essential nutrient meaning that humans cannot make their own; they must consume it in food or supplements. It is best absorbed in small frequent doses, which is easy to do this time of year when oranges, tangerines and kiwis abound. Vitamin C is heat sensitive, and it can be destroyed by cooking. The best way to eat foods rich in vitamin C is fresh and raw.
Heads of Garlic. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend
Heads of Garlic. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend

Garlic

We often use garlic for colds and flus because it has direct anti-viral properties. But garlic is also a potent regulator of the immune system. Garlic doesn’t just stimulate immune cells it also reducesinappropriate inflammation so the immune system can focus on the real invaders. For its antimicrobial properties garlic must be consumed raw and freshly crushed. For example fresh, crushed garlic can be mixed with honey for sore throats. But for immune balancing, dried and aged extracts have been frequently researched. Based on those studies, soups, sautés and sauces should all be beneficial.
Raw Khitchari Kraut and organic yogurt. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend
Raw Khitchari Kraut and organic yogurt. Photo: Wendy Goodfriend

Yogurt, Sauerkraut and other cultured foods

We are not sterile creatures. There are bacteria that populate our skin, nasal passages, genitalia and most importantly our gastrointestinal tract. We are coming to realize that the difference between having the right bacteria in our guts and the wrong bacteria can be the difference between health and disease. That is why beneficial bacteria (AKA probiotics) are so important in the human diet. These probiotics don’t just improve the health of the gut. They directly improve gut and systemic immunity. One of the best ways to consume probiotics is in cultured foods such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and miso. Because these beneficial foods contain live bacteria and yeast they should not be cooked or excessively heated.
Below is one of my favorite warming winter soups. It is incredibly delicious with Chantrelle mushrooms. However, Shiitake and or Maitake also give it a lovely flavor with an added immune kick. Be sure to use unpasteurized miso and add it at the end for a live cultured food.

Creamy Mushroom Soup with Fresh Shiitakes

Makes 6-8 servings
    Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
  • 4 cups of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (you may use other mushrooms if desired such as maitake or oyster)
  • 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups of water
  • 1 cup of cashews
  • 2 tablespoons of chickpea miso
    Instructions:
  1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy bottom stockpot. Add the onion and sauté it over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until it begins to brown. Stir it frequently to prevent it from burning.
  2. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute stirring frequently.
  3. Mix in the mushrooms, and sauté for five more minutes.
  4. Add 3 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the pot and stir well, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove and caramelized vegetables.
  5. Cover the pot and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. While the soup is simmering place the cashews and 1 cup of water in a blender. Make sure the lid is secure and start the blender on low, slowly increasing to the highest speed. While blending gradually add 1 more cup of water, 1/4 cup at a time every time the mixture gets too thick to process. You should end up with a smooth cashew cream at the end. In small blenders this often works better in two batches. The cashews will puree more easily if they are presoaked in water to cover overnight. If you do this be sure to drain and rinse them well before making cashew cream.
  7. Pour the cashew cream into the soup pot while stirring and mix it well. Rinse the blender out with 1/2 cup water and add that to the pot as well. The cashew cream will thicken as it comes to a simmer, so stir the soup frequently during this step. Once the cream has thickened and the soup has come back to full simmer, remove it from the heat.
  8. In a small bowl dissolve the miso into the last 1/2 cup of water.
  9. Stir the miso into the soup and taste it. Add the last 1/2 teaspoon of salt if desired.
  10. Serve the soup warm.
* Note: None of the information in this article is intended to diagnose, or treat any disease or health condition.

6 comments:

  1. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles and for sharing this useful information with us.Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post.
    Acupuncture in North Carolinal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
      I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how Dr ehiaguna cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr ehiaguna because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact Dr ehiaguna via drehiaguna@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348073908953 he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus.1 HIV cure
      2 cancer
      3 diabetes
      4 hepatitis
      5 herpes.
      You can contact if you are having any problem...

      Delete
  2. I'm Rachel and I own a herbal Therapy Center. What I am about to share with you is based on actual fact and I am not a socially irresponsible person. I am a woman of character and I believed that we have only one purpose for existing and that is to help our fellow humans. And everyday millions of other people are joining me and waking up to the understanding that love is the only thing that matters in this life.

    For the past 10+ years I have dealt with a lot of people who have come to me asking if herbal remedies will get rid of herpes, usually genital. I always tell people from what I have observed and heard about NATURAL REMEDY and I suggest that they try it for themselves. I have never told anyone that herbal remedy would cure their herpes.

    I have never told anyone this because I have never had any physical proof to back that up... until this day.

    I have always told anyone who would listen the mystical work herbal remedy do for me when ever I'm in depression, I could say that because if it did that for me, it would do the same for anyone else.

    I have also always told people how herbal remedies got my doctor to successfully cured DIABETES, INFERTILITY, CANCERS, PARALYSIS, STDS & INFECTIONS.

    And I tell anyone about how herbal remedy got me off the Lysinopril I was taking for my high blood pressure That also normalized within 2months. And I am thankful it did because Lysinopril has since been recalled for turning the livers of hundreds of thousands of people into mush!

    And with all the good things herbal remedy has done for my body, I still resisted the urge to tell anyone suffering with herpes that herbal remedy would cure them... but now I am here to tell you differently because I finally came in contact with Dr Utu an African Traditional Herbal Practitioner.

    Few days ago I received an email from a young lady and she told me that her doctor has told her that her body is 100% free of any HSV virus. That her herpes has been cured! I could feel her bouncing off the walls through her email... and my heart was just as happy for her.

    I have asked her to please post a comment on my YouTube Channel.

    I don't know how long she had been infected before she purchased Dr Utu African Traditional Herbal Cure and I do not know anything about the severity of her outbreaks. All I know was that she promised me that she was following the guidelines that Dr Utu gave her to the letter.

    I know there are a lot of people who will think this is too good to be true... but I have always believed that herbal remedy was a viable cure for herpes - but without any proof I felt it would be seriously irresponsible to tell anyone that it would.

    Please feel free to leave a comment to me but please no negative ones. My company is my life and I have spent over 10 years nurturing a good reputation for myself and my business. I am putting everything on the line here, so please bear with me until we know more.

    Why am I risking so much? Why don't I just wait for her? - Are you serious? This is the BIGGEST health breakthrough in my entire lifetime! I'm over 60 and there have been NO CURES for anything since the day I was born! The big pharmaceutical companies all know there is no money in a cure. The money is in teaching you and me to 'live with' and 'manage' deadly, body-wasting and disgusting diseases for our entire lives.

    Imagine the joy all over the world when her story breaks! I invite you all to share in that joy with her and with me.

    You can also contact Dr Utu for yourself via e-mail; (d r u t u h e r b a l c u r e @ g m a i l . c o m)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am deeply concerned about the still increase in population of people living with HSV, HIV, CANCERS, HEPATITIS, STROKES in our society today because of ignorance, to be Frank all this big names are grammars. I saw comments of people DR UTU helped get rid of their diseases, with the increase in population of people living with various diseases and myself as a beneficiary to DR UTU traditional cure I thought I too should reach the world via comment. Many People believed traditional herbs are so primitive and some are even shy to purchase it in public. Some went as far as trashing the legendary name of herbal medicine hiding its numerous advantages and let publicly it disadvantage and yet makes it look big, all this are just for pharmaceutical gain. All pharmaceutical cure are derived from existing traditional herbal cure from ages.
    Yes! I'm here to tell the world the actual FACT! which is; there is herbal cure for herpes, Ebola, HIV, cancers, hepatitis, ulcers, asthma, pile, diabetes and many big names of diseases. all my career I've lived my life believing and making research on this, till I confirmed it four years ago. Since four years ago and till today I still say yes! That among many real traditional herbalist Dr Nze Utu Njoku @ (drutuherbalcure) cures this diseases using African traditional herbs. After he cured me four years ago of genital herpes, ever since then I worked with him distance never a barrier, I'm a living witness to this. And I have directed both genital and oral herpes patients to him and they are permanently cured. I'm Ethan Oliver from Australia and also a herbal dealer and lover. I'm also a researcher on herbs for good health. Which also include Africa traditional herbal treatment, I support Herbal treatment, cure and vaccines. My view is based on my extensive research over a very long period of time, and my conclusion is, there is cure to all natural diseases including HSV, HIV, CANCERS, DIABETES, using the right medications with the right herbalist. Are you herpes positive and permanently want get rid of this disease or any of this big name diseases don't be scared to save yourself, contact Dr Utu for permanent herbal cure. Be bold and smart Don't be fooled by selfish people who say, cure is impossible.
    Dr UTU e-mail , 'drutuherbalcure@gmail.com'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herpes Finally Gone, thanks to Dr. Utu for his Herbal Treatment.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I was on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight the virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! Feel Free to contact Dr Utu Email:- drutuherbalcure@gmail.com OR WhatsApp :- +2347032718477

    ReplyDelete
  5. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how Dr ehiaguna cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr ehiaguna because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact Dr ehiaguna via drehiaguna@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348073908953 he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus.1 HIV cure
    2 cancer
    3 diabetes
    4 hepatitis
    5 herpes.
    You can contact if you are having any problem...

    ReplyDelete